Design and Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject, requiring determination, inspiration and creativity. Design and Technology encourages children to solve problems, both as individuals and as members of a team. The children are encouraged to use their creativity and imagination to design and make products with a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. The children are also encouraged to reflect upon and evaluate past and present Design and Technology, its uses and overall effectiveness.
Through a variety of creative and practical activities, the children are taught the understanding and skills needed to engage in an iterative process of designing and making.
In EYFS pupils explore and use a variety of materials and media through a combination of adult directed and child-initiated activities. The children have opportunities to learn to:
• Use different materials and media to express their own ideas
• Construct with a purpose in mind using a variety of resources
• Develop skills using simple tools and techniques
• Select appropriate resources for a product
• Cook and prepare food adhering to good health and hygiene routines
The teaching of Design and Technology from Year One upwards is supported through the Plan Bee scheme. This enables children to design products with a purpose in mind and an intended user for their products. Food technology is implemented across the school with children developing an understanding of where food comes from, the importance of a varied and healthy diet and how to prepare this.
When designing and making, the children are taught to:
• Use research and develop design criteria to make products that are fit for purpose, aimed at particular individuals or groups
• Generate, develop and communicate their ideas effectively through discussion, diagrams, prototypes and computer-aided design
• Select from and use a wider range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks (for example, cutting, shaping, joining and finishing) accurately
• Select from and use a wide range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients
• Investigate and analyse a range of existing products
• Evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria and consider the views of others to improve their work
• To understand how key events and individuals in Design and Technology have helped shape the world
We ensure the children develop their creative, technical and practical skills. Children learn how to take risks, become resourceful and innovative. Through the evaluation of past and present Design and Technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
“Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But of course, if you look deeper, it’s really how it works.” Steve Jobs
We are also providing children with topic specific resources to ensure they can be continued at home. Whilst at home, encourage your child to help with the cooking. It is fun, practical and enjoyable and will help your child develop a multitude of skills.